Mits annual scholarship
Opens Nov. 1
at 08:00 hrs. PST
Closes Nov. 30
at 17:00 hrs. PST
About the event
MITS recognizes that today’s students will be the driving force to continue the growth and recognition of the medical interpreting profession in the years to come. And to contribute to that endeavor, we are pleased to announce our 2022 Scholarship.
With these awards, we want to inspire and encourage interpreters to become nationally certified by facilitating the 40 hours of training required to apply for certification.
MITS will award four (4) scholarships in the form of free tuition to cover the entire cost of our 40-hour Training Program. Please note that no monies will be awarded, the selected recipients will receive access to one of the following programs for six months:
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient one).
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient two).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient three).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient four).
Each tuition-free scholarship includes the core Fundamental 40-hour Training Program (10 modules) and the five bonus modules. This educational program amounts to more than 60 hours of training at a value of $1,240 if the modules are purchased separately.
- Application cycle opens on Tuesday, November 1st, 2022, at 8:00 am (Pacific Time).
- Deadline for all completed applications: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, at 5 pm (Pacific Time).
- Scholarship selected recipients will be notified on December 7, 2022.
- Public announcement of award recipients will be on December 13, 2022.
- High school diploma earned in the U.S. or in any other country.
- Must speak English and another language at a very advanced level.
- Must be interested in getting certified by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a new student. Those who have already enrolled in a MITS 40-hour program are not eligible. The award cannot be used retroactively. (See FAQs for exceptions and more details).
- High school or college diploma. Transcripts are also accepted. (Translation of non-english documents is required)
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher, supervisor, or co-worker. Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted.
- An English essay of 500-700 words that answers the following three (3) questions:
- Why is the applicant interested in taking this course?
- What does the applicant wish to accomplish in his/her career?
- Why does the applicant deserve the scholarship?
Application Submission Process
The scholarship application below, including all other requirements, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format in one email only. The application must be received no later than Wednesday, November 30, 2022, (17:00 hrs. PT). A MITS representative will confirm that your application has been received; however, we will not request missing documentation or additional information. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
MITS scholarships are merit-based competitive awards. The MITS scholarship team will evaluate all eligible applications and select the winners based on the criteria below:
- Recommendations – 25%
- Answers in the application – 25%
- Essay – 50%
Who will it be this year?
2021 Scholarship Recipients
Juan José De León
"I am a Spanish interpreter from the Dominican Republic, I feel so grateful and honored to be one of the winners of the MITS Scholarship 2021. I really enjoyed navigating through all lessons, exercises and all the information that allows me to be a better interpreter today. A special thanks to the instructor, Mr. David McCoy-Galicia, for the dedication, for the shared knowledge and skills and also special thanks to the entire MITS team."
"I'm an ASL interpreter and I very much appreciate this opportunity more than you know. II was very excited to start this course! Thank you so much David! It was a pleasure chatting with you earlier when you gave the good news! I also want to let you know that I am enjoying the course immensely...I love the brief but informational lessons and clear instructions; you are very good at this!
"I am sincerely honored and happy to have been selected as a recipient of your MITS 2021 scholarship. Your award will allow me to further my education in Spanish Interpreting. Your generosity gives me the ability to fulfill my dreams without the financial worries of paying tuition costs.
Chau Minh Trang
I am sincerely grateful and honored to have been selected as the recipient of MITS scholarship. Thank you kindly for your humane vision and generosity. Thanks to this scholarship, I will be fortunate to pursue my studies and to realize my lifetime dream of becoming a certified medical interpreter. Being committed to my education and my purpose of serving others is my way of showing appreciation and gratitude to your generous spirit of giving.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will have access to the course for 6 months to complete the 40-hour course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The minimum number of days to complete the 40-hour training course is 6 days (eight hours per day + one day). Due to the intensity of the content, MITS will not issue a certificate sooner than 6 days after registration or students covering more than 8 hours per day.
If you purchase the 40-hour course between Nov. 1st, and Nov. 30, 2022, you can apply. However, please note that, if selected, you will receive a full refund, and the time access to the training program will be limited to six months only, not 12 months as the regular purchased program.