Mits annual scholarship
is now open
Opens Sept. 21
at 08:00 hrs. Pst
Closes Oct. 21
at 17:00 hrs. pst
About the event
MITS recognizes that today’s students will be the driving force to continue the growth and recognition of the medical interpreting profession in the years to come. And to contribute to that endeavor, we are pleased to announce our 2020 Scholarship.
With these awards, we want to inspire and encourage interpreters to become nationally certified by facilitating the 40 hours of training required to apply for certification.
MITS will award four (4) scholarships in the form of free tuition to cover the entire cost of our 40-hour Training Program. Please note that no monies will be awarded, the selected recipients will receive access to the following for six months:
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient one).
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient two).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient three).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient four).
Each tuition-free scholarship includes the core Fundamental 40-hour Training Program (10 courses) and the five bonus courses. This educational program amounts to more than 60 hours of training at a value of $1,240 if the courses are purchased separately.
- Application cycle opens on Monday, September 21, 2020, at 8:00 am (Pacific Time)
- Deadline for all completed applications: Wednesday, October 21, 2020, at 5 pm (Pacific Time)
- Scholarship selected recipients will be notified on October 30, 2020
- Public announcement of award recipients will be on November 9, 2020
- High school diploma earned in the U.S. or in any other country.
- Must speak English and another language at a very advanced level.
- Must be interested in getting certified by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a new student. Those who have already enrolled in a MITS 40-hour program are not eligible. The award cannot be used retroactively. (See FAQs for exceptions and more details).
- High school or college diploma. Transcripts are also accepted. (Translation of non-english documents is required)
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher, supervisor, or co-worker. Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted.
- An English essay of 500-700 words that answers the following three (3) questions:
- Why is the applicant interested in taking this course?
- What does the applicant wish to accomplish in his/her career?
- Why does the applicant deserve the scholarship?
Application Submission Process
The scholarship application below, including all other requirements, should be emailed to [email protected] in PDF format in one email only. The application must be received no later than Monday, October 21, 2020 (17:00 hrs. PT). A MITS representative will confirm that your application has been received; however, we will not request missing documentation or additional information. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
MITS scholarships are merit-based competitive awards. The MITS scholarship team will evaluate all eligible applications and select the winners based on the criteria below:
- Recommendations – 25%
- Answers in the application – 25%
- Essay – 50%
Who will it be this year?
2019 Scholarship Recipients
"Thank you so much MITS for this great opportunity. I feel so bless to be selected as one of the scholarship recipients. I know this training will be key in my career as a future certified medical interpreter. It brings me joy to know that I will help a lot of children with my knowledge"
"I'm very excited to receive the MITS scholarship as it will open doors to a more fruitful career in the field of medical interpreting. This will greatly aid in my ambition to be a more effective medical interpreter for those who feel isolated by language in their daily lives."
"I have no exact words to describe how thankful I am to receive this gift. Applying for this scholarship has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Thank you MITS for giving me the tools to begin a career. This opportunity is a huge blessing and I am super excited to begin the courses to become a Spanish Medical Interpreter."
Firas Al Abudi
"Thank you so much for giving this opportunity. I really appreciate it! I’m so excited to take this course and I can't wait to begin leaning as soon as possible! Rest assured that this gift will be utilized to the fullest!"
Frequently Asked Questions
You will have access to the course for 6 months to complete the 40-hour course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The minimum number of days to complete the 40-hour training course is 6 days (eight hours per day + one day). Due to the intensity of the content, MITS will not issue a certificate sooner than 6 days after registration.
If you purchase the 40-hour course between Sep. 16 and Oct. 16, 2020, you can apply. However, please note that, if selected, you will receive a full refund, and the time access to the course will be limited to six months only, not 12 months as the regular purchased courses.