Mits annual scholarship
Opens Sept. 27
at 08:00 hrs. Pst
Closes Oct. 27
at 17:00 hrs. pst
About the event
MITS recognizes that today’s students will be the driving force to continue the growth and recognition of the medical interpreting profession in the years to come. And to contribute to that endeavor, we are pleased to announce our 2021 Scholarship.
With these awards, we want to inspire and encourage interpreters to become nationally certified by facilitating the 40 hours of training required to apply for certification.
MITS will award four (4) scholarships in the form of free tuition to cover the entire cost of our 40-hour Training Program. Please note that no monies will be awarded, the selected recipients will receive access to one of the following programs for six months:
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient one).
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient two).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient three).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient four).
Each tuition-free scholarship includes the core Fundamental 40-hour Training Program (10 courses) and the five bonus courses. This educational program amounts to more than 60 hours of training at a value of $1,240 if the courses are purchased separately.
- Application cycle opens on Monday, September 27, 2021, at 8:00 am (Pacific Time)
- Deadline for all completed applications: Wednesday, October 27, 2021, at 5 pm (Pacific Time)
- Scholarship selected recipients will be notified on Nov 11, 2021
- Public announcement of award recipients will be on November 15, 2021
- High school diploma earned in the U.S. or in any other country.
- Must speak English and another language at a very advanced level.
- Must be interested in getting certified by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a new student. Those who have already enrolled in a MITS 40-hour program are not eligible. The award cannot be used retroactively. (See FAQs for exceptions and more details).
- High school or college diploma. Transcripts are also accepted. (Translation of non-english documents is required)
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher, supervisor, or co-worker. Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted.
- An English essay of 500-700 words that answers the following three (3) questions:
- Why is the applicant interested in taking this course?
- What does the applicant wish to accomplish in his/her career?
- Why does the applicant deserve the scholarship?
Application Submission Process
The scholarship application below, including all other requirements, should be emailed to [email protected] in PDF format in one email only. The application must be received no later than Wednesday, October 27, 2021 (17:00 hrs. PT). A MITS representative will confirm that your application has been received; however, we will not request missing documentation or additional information. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
MITS scholarships are merit-based competitive awards. The MITS scholarship team will evaluate all eligible applications and select the winners based on the criteria below:
- Recommendations – 25%
- Answers in the application – 25%
- Essay – 50%
Who will it be this year?
2020 Scholarship Recipients
"I am very appreciative that MITS has given me a chance to improve my medical interpreting skills. Thank you for selecting me to receive this invaluable award and opportunity. I am excited to take the course in order to get my national certification soon"
"Dear David, thank you for the congratulations and many thanks to MITS for selecting me for the scholarship. I will treasure this award greatly!"
"I am thrilled to accept the MITS Scholarship 2020 and the opportunity to move forward and improve my communication skills. I thank you so much for considering my skills, experience, and life story and granted me this invaluable step towards my future career goals."
"I am so grateful to be a recipient of the MITS scholarship. This opportunity represents such an important step toward my goal of becoming a CHI. I'm sure this training opportunity will improve my interpreting skills and benefit my wide diverse and deserving community. I look forward to starting the course and enjoying the invaluable resources in it. Thank you!"
Frequently Asked Questions
You will have access to the course for 6 months to complete the 40-hour course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The minimum number of days to complete the 40-hour training course is 6 days (eight hours per day + one day). Due to the intensity of the content, MITS will not issue a certificate sooner than 6 days after registration or students covering more than 8 hours per day.
If you purchase the 40-hour course between Sept. 27 and Oct. 27, 2021, you can apply. However, please note that, if selected, you will receive a full refund, and the time access to the training program will be limited to six months only, not 12 months as the regular purchased program.